MICRO DEVOTIONALS FOR BUSY PEOPLE – READING THROUGH THE BIBLE AT SAVOURING PACE.
A summary from Tim Keller’s book and Jim Hamilton’s sermon.
PRAYER: “Show us how to deal with unfair criticism, gossip, betrayal and to put our hope in Christ”
DAVID ISN’T THEORISING ABOUT REFUGE IN HIS LORD.
- The king has already taken that step by faith and he’s already safe in God’s protective care. The alternative is for his soul to be ripped, shredded, and torn to pieces by the wickeds’ savage and false charges
- Let us too, by faith, enter that refuge where God stands ready to save, protect and deliver His people.
DAVID’S BOLD DISCLAIMER OF GUILT.. “If what they say is true, then let them trample my life, tramp me in the dust and kill me.”
WHAT MOTIVATES DAVID TO LEAVE REVENGE TO HIS GOD?
He is the One who probes minds and hearts – at gut-level.
- He knows our commitments, thought processes, plans, motivations, and what we are really thinking and feeling,
- He scrutinises the very core of who we are, and knows how our hearts and minds work.
God alone has all the wisdom to know what everyone deserves. Job eventually agreed.
- God Most High – high above the criticising enemies.
- It is only God’s just and gracious opinion of us that will prevail.
God judges everything accurately. Who better than the God who decrees/establishes justice to be the Judge of the world?
- This truth sets every Christian free from frantically lashing back at our accusers and insinuators.
- God defines what is right.
THE GUILT AND SELF-DEFEAT OF THE WICKED
- They are pregnant with evil, give birth to lies and false charges.
- Their violence and lies will boomerang: haters are hated, deceivers are deceived, gossips are gossiped about – ultimately they won’t get away with it!
- Let’s not be intimidated by wrong-doers – God will deal with them.
- God Most High will sharpen the sword, string and draw the bow: poised and ready to go after the person who refuses to repent.
BUT…..GOD SAVES THE UPRIGHT IN HEART.
- Can any of us claim perfect uprightness of heart, motives, love and gut-responses?
- Good news!
HOW CAN ANYONE SURVIVE GOD’S DAY OF JUST JUDGMENT?
What an epic salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ!
From despair to a song of praise! Psalm 17:7