MICRO DEVOTIONALS FOR BUSY PEOPLE – reading through the Bible at savouring pace
A summary of Tim Keller and Dale Ralph Davis’ writings; Gabe Fluhrer and Julian Hardyman’s sermons.
Shall we meditate on Psalm 14 – with fervent prayers, with tears, for God’s mercy to the loved active and passive atheists in our lives?
THE FOOL SAYS IN HIS HEART, “NO GOD!”
- Their creed drives their living and thinking.
- “You don’t need God to tell you what to think or do – think and live for yourself.”
THE FOOL CAN BE SOMEBODY WHO IS A PAEDOPHILE OR SMART, LIKEABLE, KIND AND ARTICULATE.
- But fundamentally, the fool is somebody who, in his heart and at the very core of his being, forcefully and blatantly rejects God and His ways.
- He fiercely rules God out, and opposes His people.
- He doesn’t seek God, doesn’t call upon the Lord and deliberately turns away.
The media headlines give us glimpse of the results of the “No God”- creed.
- Friedrich Nietzsche proclaimed. “God is dead and we have killed him”
- Nietzsche well understood the implications of his philosophy: “If there is no God, anything goes.”
If there’s no God, anything goes.
THE LORD SCRUTINISES THE WHOLE HUMAN RACE – NOT ONLY DEFIANT ATHEISTS. 14:2-3
Without God’s grace, no one understands, not one seeks God, nobody does good for God’s glory – not even one.
- Reality is: by nature we don’t like it when He interferes with our lives. “Leave us alone, God, to get on with our lives as we please.”
- There’s no instinctive desire or taste for God, no heart- yearning to know and enjoy Him, to delight Him.
God looks down from heaven, scrutinises the whole human race.
- Every one has declared unilateral independence of Him.
- Without God, we all think we know better than Him and go off and do our own thing.
THAT SIN IS PERSONAL TO EACH OF US…. CAN STING.
- Some blatantly defy and reject God and His ways with all their hearts, refuse to seek Him, see no need to call on Him.
- Others say, “oh yeah, there is a God”, but they live their lives as if He isn’t really there at all.
EVERY CHILD OF GOD CAN LOOK BACK AND SEE:
- Either when we’ve defiantly shut God out of our lives.
- Or, more subtly, we used to mostly ignore or substitute the God of glory.
It is purely the love and grace of the Father, in Jesus’ cross and resurrection, that make all the difference in our lives.
Let us take refuge in the finished work of Christ – and rejoice!
PS If there is no God, anything goes: The woman who married herself – BBC report.