Micro Devotionals for busy people – reading through the Bible at savouring pace.
A brief summary from Jim Hamilton’s commentary on Nehemiah 2:19-20
AS SOON AS GOD’S PEOPLE SAID, “LET’S DO IT, LET’S START TO BUILD THE WALL” – .the enemy was right at hand to intensify their opposition.
Nehemiah 2:19 But when Sanballat the Horonite, Tobiah the Ammonite official and Geshem the Arab heard about it, they mocked and ridiculed us. ‘What is this you are doing?’ they asked. ‘Are you rebelling against the king?’
- These three have a longstanding fight with God’s people and anyone who seeks their well-being.
- Throughout the book they are turning up the heat, jeer, mock and want to bring the work down.
Satan uses people to block what we want to do for God and His people.
Nehemiah 2:20 I answered them by saying, ‘The God of heaven will give us success. We his servants will start rebuilding, but as for you, you have no share in Jerusalem or any claim or historic right to it.’
YOU HAVE NO RIGHT, SHARE OR CLAIM IN JERUSALEM.
- The God of heave will make us prosper – we are his God’s servants surrendered to his authority.
- Our trust and allegiance belong to God.
FEAR IS GIVING PEOPLE INSTEAD OF GOD AUTHORITY OVER HOW WE FEEL AND ACT.
- We are servants of God and we want Him to have sway over our hearts, hands, feelings.
- When we give our fears more authority than we give God we are never going to move forward.
NEHEMIAH WANTS THE ENEMY TO KNOW THE GOD OF HEAVEN IS A GOD OF VICTORY. We surrender to Him and we trust Him.
- We have great confidence and trust in our God and He will give us the victory.
- We are not going to submit to the fears people invoke, but to our God, the God of heaven who will give us success.
WHAT WILL IT BE FOR US?
- To stand in awe of God, fear and trust Him to give us victory?
- Giving in to the fears people and circumstances evoke in us?