Micro Devotionals for busy people – reading through the Bible at savouring pace.
(Please feel free to hop on the bus and join the 3 year plan at any point, or just read along)
JERUSALEM’S FUTURE IS BLEAK AND NEHEMIAH IS DISTRAUGHT – on whom will he call? On whom will we call in our hour of need?
NEHEMIAH KNEW HIS GOD FROM THE SCRIPTURE AND HISTORY AND THAT HE COULD RELY ON THE LORD OF HEAVEN.
Nehemiah knew, from the Scriptures what God promised he would do.
JERUSALEM’S WALLS ARE BROKEN AND THE GATES ARE BURNED DOWN.
- It’s November/December 20 years after Artexexus started his reign.
- Nehemiah is in the persian king’s winter palace and employment.
WHEN NEHEMIAH HEARD THIS DISTRESSING NEWS FROM HIS BROTHER, HE WEPT.
- Passionate Nehemiah – passionate for God’s kingdom, emotional about Jerusalem.
- In mourning and deep sorrow he intercedes with fasting and prayer.
NEHEMIAH KNOWS THINGS ABOUT GOD FROM THE SPIRIT INSPIRED SCRIPTURES:
“Oh Yahweh Lord God of heaven, the great and fearsome God who keeps the covenant and steadfast love with those who fear Him and keep HIs commandments.”
God is the covenant-keeping God and Nehemiah asks God to do what God has so graciously committed Himself to doing.
HOW DID NEHEMIAH KNOW THAT HE CAN PRAY LIKE THIS? How did he know that God doesn’t abandon His steadfast love for those who fear and love to do His will?
Nehemiah based his prayer on Deuteronomy 4:25-31. (It may be easier to read Deuteronomy 4:25-31 here.)
- Leviticus 26:40-42 also predicts exile for disobedience and promising restoration from exile.
NEHEMIAH HAS READ THE SCRIPTURES AND MEDITATED ON GOD’S JUSTICE, COMPASSION AND MERCY FOR HIS PEOPLE.
He has read that if they will humble themselves and confess their sin of compromise and unfaithfulness to God – then God will remember His people and His covenant with them.