Micro Devotionals for busy people – reading through the Bible at savouring pace.
Please feel free to hop on the bus and join the 3 year plan at any point, or just read along.
- Realising that Ezra arranges his material thematically and not chronologically, helps us towards figuring out the story line – otherwise it’s a blur!
- Ezra’s book comes in 2 parts: Part 1 – Chapters 1-6 : The building of the altar and temple to be followed by the building of the city and the walls.
WHILE THE CITY WALL IS GETTING BUILT IN THE FACE OF OPPOSITION …..
- Ezra tells the builders of the city the story of the PAST building of the temple, opposition, how God prospered them as they did His will and did the work of building.
- Ezra, inspired by God, shows the second generation of returnees (then building the city and battling opposition) how the first generation of returnees – with much opposition and God’s help finished the temple restoration.
In the time when the temple got built, it looked like there was no chance to ever complete the job – and yet God prospered them and job done!!!
IN THE LATER TIME WHEN THE CITY AND WALL WERE BUILT IT LOOKED LIKE THERE WAS NO CHANCE THAT IT WOULD EVER BE COMPLETED….
- Ezra used the true temple construction story of opposition, work, God’s help ….to encourage the PRESENT builders of the city and wall.
- Look how God helped his people to build the temple – He will do it for you too!
The completed temple obviously didn’t have the magnificence and pizzazz of the first temple that Solomon built, oh the older folks felt all nostalgic and wept loudly – still the temple got built!
LET US LOOK AROUND AT CHRISTIAN LIVES in the Bible in past and modern times and see God’s power at work in them through the trouble they have in the world.
Hebrews 11, biographies, people alive today.
- Let’s look around and see how God keeps His Word and His people in spite of the fiery darts of Satan.
- Fiery darts of crafty invitations to compromise, subtle insinuations and outright intimidations.
These triumphs out of trials are like butterflies out of caterpillars.
These triumphs out of trials encourage us today to run the race today with our eyes on Jesus, Author and Finisher of our faith!