Micro Devotionals for busy people – reading through the Bible at savouring pace.
THE PEOPLE BACK IN JERUSALEM ACCEPTED THE STATUS QUO – they lived in the rubble of the ruined city wall and temple for the last 70 years.
- Many grew up around the ruins – their houses are built up against it.
- They just got used to it.
NEHEMIAH IS IN JERUSALEM AND INSPECTS THE WALLS AND GATES AT NIGHT.
Then I said to them, “You see the trouble we are in: Jerusalem lies in ruins, and its gates have been burned with fire. Come, let us rebuild the wall of Jerusalem, and we will no longer be in disgrace.”
They needed prodding. Maybe Nehemiah sees on their faces, “there is no way we can do this work”.
I also told them about the gracious hand of my God on me and what the king had said to me.
NEHEMIAH GIVES HIS TESTIMONY
- “You will never believe the conversation I had with king Artaxerxis!”
- “He even authorised the rebuilding and funded the whole project.”
- “Yes God’s good hand was on me – we can do this good work!”
IF WE LIVE IN THE RUBBLE LONG ENOUGH IT CAN BECOME “OUR NEW NORMAL.” Do we see the trouble we are in and what is at stake?
- This is just me, my white lies and my personality.
- This is our marriage, the slow drift apart, the communication breakdown – that is just how things are with us now.
HAVE WE MADE PEACE WITH THE RUINS?
- Have we got used to the tragedy that our family and friends live with their backs to God?
- Are we still broken over their quiet or defiant opposition to Jesus who came to save and are we ready to share Jesus’ love with them?
- Is it old hat for us that millions of babies are aborted, unmarried couples live together, divorce is easy, that the unreached have not heard the Name of Jesus?
CAN WE SEE THE TROUBLE IN THE RUBBLE – OR HAVE WE BECOME TOO FAMILIAR WITH IT?
- Do we still want to fight the good fight of raising godly children, forgive and enemy, show Jesus to the lost, bring justice to the vulnerable, plant a church?
- Will we look to God to have His good hand on us, to strengthen our hands and to rise up and build?